Questions/Issues for the TOC
The following Aries releases occurred in the last quarter:
- Aries Cloud Agent Python – 0.8.0-rc0, 0.8.0
- Aries Askar – v0.2.8
- Aries VCX Releases – v0.3.4, v0.4.0-dev1 to v0.4.0-dev12
- Aries Framework Go – v0.1.9
Of the 28 Aries repositories, all but 3 have been updated in 2023.
Interoperability status can be seen here: https://aries-interop.info.
Overall Activity in the Past Quarter
Per the Aries Activity Dashboard for the first three months of 2023, Aries codebases had 442 PRs (up 11%) from 81 contributors (up 21%).
- Lots of activity towards integrating Hyperledger AnonCreds into all of the Aries Frameworks to enable ledger-agnostic implementations.
- BC Gov published an AnonCreds Code With Us Opportunity to integrate Hyperledger AnonCreds into Aries Cloud Agent Python. Indicio won that Opportunity and is working on the implementation.
- The effort to move off the Indy SDK continued this quarter with the following results:
- BC Gov published an Askar Code With Us Opportunity to create a conversion script from Indy SDK to Aries Askar storage. Indicio won that Opportunity, completed that implementation, and the result has been used to convert a production system.
- Animo Solutions won a similar AFJ Askar Code With Us Opportunity and has demonstrated a deployment of Aries Bifold using Aries Askar storage.
- After being awarded a BC Gov Mobile Verifier Code With Us opportunity, DSR implemented in the Aries Bifold wallet the ability for one wallet to request a presentation from another wallet, and for two wallets to establish a connection and communicate (messaging and presentation requests).
- Discussions continue on Aries Interop Profile (AIP) v3.0, which extend AIP 2.0 to be based on DIDComm V2, and a number of Aries community members contributed to a DIDComm V2.0 Connect-a-thon at IIW.
- Continued good progress was made in the community on the use of Overlays Capture Architecture (OCA) to power the on-screen display of credentials, as mentioned in previous reports. An Aries RFC has been proposed and gone through a couple of iterations, with good feedback – OCA for Aries RFC PR, OCA for Aries RFC (proposed) and OCA for Aries Style Guide (proposed).
- OCA has been implemented in Aries Bifold. However, we have had a challenge in figuring out the best way to distribute OCA Bundles. As a short cut around the problem the community has created a GitHub OCA Bundles repository, with a governance model allowing anyone to submit a (valid) OCA Bundle for their credential type. The repo is currently in the BC Gov GitHub organization, but may be moved as OCA Bundles become more prevalent in the community. A tool, the OCA Explorer has been built to make it easy to see and evolve OCA Bundles implementations. Check it out!
Aries Framework Reports
- Rewrite of Aries messages crate
- Performance improvements
- Overall code quality improvements
- Rewrite of NodeJS wrapper
- unlocked upgrade to NodeJS 18
- 20x FFI performance improvement
- significantly improved safety and maintainability
- Enabled usage of aries-vcx with Aries Askar plugged-in
- Enabled opt-in usage of credx library for proof verifier (libindy)
- Adoption of new approach building Aries state machines
- fully leverages power of Rust typing system
- so far applied on Connection protocol (other protocols in progress/pending)
- Interop compatibility improvements
- 2 projects rolled into LFX mentorship program
- Break down of repo into smaller crates, decoupling of mediation from Connection protocol, other general refactoring
In addition, work has been done to expand the supported exchange protocols to include OpenID4VCI, allowing credentials to be received and shared using different protocols.
Aries Cloud Agent Python
Aries Cloud Agent Python v0.8.0 was released in 2023Q1, with contributions from 32 individuals. Work this quarter was focused on enabling upgrades of existing deployments to Aries Askar, the use of ACA-Py as an Aries Mediator (the Aries Mediator Service repository), updating ACA-Py to use Hyperledger AnonCreds, and the launch of a new ACA-Py documentation site aca-py.org
The Indy/Aries stack continues to be the global leader in SSI/verifiable data solutions, with AnonCreds the most used credential format.
- Continuing the work on eliminating the use of the Indy SDK in favor of the Aries Askar/Indy VDR/anoncreds-rs across frameworks and deployments of those frameworks.
- Continued expansion of features in mobile wallet apps, including building on the wallet-to-wallet support added in Q1, and expanding support for OCA to enable beautifully displayed credentials.
- Continue the work to adding ledger agnostic Hyperledger AnonCreds support in all of the active Aries Frameworks.
- Promotion of a place for issuers to publish and wallets/verifiers to use Overlays Capture Architecture (OCA) bundles.
- Rust DID resolver, DID parser in Aries VCX
- Not specific to Aries
- Currently implementing did:sov only, did:indy, did:web will be added next
There are currently 62 people on the 48 Hyperledger Aries teams representing at least 19 organizations.
In Q1 there were contributions from 81 individuals representing at least 16 organizations.